Social and Environmental Impact
With the support of the community, Food Connect has created social and environmental impact for over fourteen years. Here are just a few of our achievements:
Social Return on Investment Reports
Social Ventures Australia has assessed Food Connect's Social Impact twice since establishment in 2005.
- In 2007, our SROI measured $1:$35 - meaning for every dollar invested in Food Connect, we returned $35 of social value. Click here for the report.
- In 2011, the process was further refined and our assessment came in to a more realistic $1:$16.83. Click here for the report.
Summary of Impacts to date
- Reducing the weekly distance food travels: 140 km average food miles (national average 1,200 km);
- 50% of retail price returned to farmers (national avg 14%);
- Closed loop food system. No food ever goes to waste;
- 15 permanent jobs maintained, and growing;
- 15 food entrepreneurs incubated;
- 45 buyers clubs, restaurants and cafes supplied;
- 1,500 householders fed local, nutritious food weekly;
- $28 million generated in our local food economy;
- Since 2005, we've operated using circular economy principles.
Awards / Certification
Beyond the Business
In 2009, we set up a non-profit organisation, Food Connect Foundation to promote, educate and advocate for fair food systems locally and internationally.
In late 2019, our community helped us to buy the warehouse we'd been renting for 12 years, through an equity crowdfunding campaign. We now have Australia's first community-owned local food hub, the Food Connect Shed
, providing the infrastructure to provide a stable market for our farmers, completely divorced from volatile market forces, and to create a home to many ethical food entrepreneurs.