Recipe: Potato & Pear Gratin
Make this fancy pants twist on potato bake with our new varieties from Ian, and a bit of sweetness with David's on-special pears.
We've mentioned before that Beurre Bosc pears are brilliant for baking, and that applies to savoury use too! They're not as super sweet as other varieties so they'll add that little extra something without overpowering it.
- 6 large potatoes (Nicola or Fidelia would be great, but you could get fancy with some coloured ones)
- 2 Beurre Bosc pears
1 tbsp butter
- 150g Gruyere cheese, grated (cheddar works fine! sub out some of the amount for mozarella if you want it a little less sharp)
- 1 1/2 cups cream
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- salt & pepper to season
- Pre heat oven to 180°C.
- Wash and thinly slice potatoes and pears (peeling not essential - up to your preference).
- Mix cream, nutmeg, salt and pepper together in a bowl.
- Grease the base of a medium sized baking dish with the butter.
- Layer potato, pear, cheese then cream. Repeat this until a final layer of potato then cheese.
- Cover and bake for 90min.
- Uncover and bake a further 20 mins until golden and browned on top.
- Test with a fork or skewer - all layers should be tender.
Recipe adapted from from Kids Eat By Shanai. Don't forget to send us your own ideas and favourites on firstname.lastname@example.org
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.