Pumpkin & Banana Bars (Vegan Optional)
For our first recipe of 2021, we've got a delicious snack that makes great use of some of this week's specials while offering a fun alternative to a common lockdown go-to - banana bread.
These pumpkin and banana bars are quick and easy enough for the kids to help with (or do on their own) for a school holiday activity. With their hidden veg boost, they provide a great dose of fibre, vitamins and energy for an on-the-go commuters breakfast, or they can be frozen for up to three months if you want to make a head start on school lunchboxes.
They're also a breeze to make vegan or dairy-free!
- 2 large or 3 small bananas, mashed
- 1 cup pumpkin puree (roast, steam or boil, then mash or blitz your pumpkin - puree comes in handy for soup, curry etc so don't be afraid to make extra and freeze)
- 1/4 cup of honey, maple syrup or agave
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 cups our organic rolled oats
- 1/2 cup of mix ins - e.g. dried banana pieces, choc chips, sultanas
- Preheat oven to 180°C
- Line or grease a 8x8 inch baking pan
- In a large bowl, whisk together the banana, pumpkin, honey, vanilla and spices
- Add the oats and mix until combined
- Fold in the dried fruit or choc chips
- Transfer the mixture to your pan, pressing down lightly until evenly distributed (rolling a small glass over the top can help)
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, until edges are firm and gold brown.
- Allow to cool completely in the pan before removing and cutting into bars.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.