Passata di Pomodoro
- 2kg tomatoes ripe
- 1 cup fresh basil chopped, optional
Courtesy of Nonna Box
- Slice each tomato in half and scoop out the seeds. You can opt to leave the seeds in the tomatoes and simply strain the vegetables later in the recipe, however, removing them in the beginning is the best way to ensure there are no seeds in the passata. It also prevents the passata from being too liquid and allows for a thicker sauce.
- Place the cleaned tomatoes in a large pot, cover and cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally. Cook the tomatoes until they are soft, not totally mashed. Roughly it will take about 20 minutes.
- Place the tomatoes through a strainer machine or food mill to puree them well, crushing the skins and making the sauce perfectly smooth.
- If the sauce is too liquid for you at this stage, place it in a very fine strainer to remove some of the liquid.
- The sauce is now ready to use or can!
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.