Oven-baked chicken and rice
An easy, hearty one-tray dinner that's awesome for serving alongside steamed veg for meal prep or feeding the family (and a great use for our local chicken thighs and just-in onions)
- 500g boneless chicken thighs
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic (large), minced
- 2 tbsp (30g) butter (or olive oil)
- 1 1/2 cups (270g) uncooked white rice
- 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) chicken broth/stock, heated
- 1 1/4 cups (315 ml) water, hot
For the chicken rub:
- 1 tsp paprika powder
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- Black pepper
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F.
- Scatter onion and garlic in a baking dish (about 25 x 35 cm), then place butter in the centre (drizzle over top if using oil). Bake for 15 minutes (check at 10 minutes and mix if some bits are browning too much).
- Remove baking dish from the oven. Add rice, chicken broth and water to the garlic and onion combo, then mix.
- Cover (with lid, foil or baking sheet) then bake for 30 minutes*
- Meanwhile, mix together Chicken Rub. Sprinkle on both sides of the chicken.
- Take tray out of oven, remove cover, and put chicken on top, then bake for a further 25 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Stand for 5 minutes, then remove chicken and fluff up rice. Garnish with parsley or thyme if desired, serve and enjoy!
*if using brown rice like our organic medium grain
, add an extra half cup of hot water and cook for an additional 20 before adding the chicken
.Recipe and photo adapted from Recipe Tin Eats. Don't forget to send your recipe suggestions to community@foodconnect .com.au
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.