Orecchiette with Broccoli Sauce
Orecchiette is shaped in a way that scoops up all the flavour! The broccoli sauce and orecchiette pasta is a classic and delicious combo.
- Steam small broccoli florets until super tender and set aside.
- Boil water with a pinch of salt to cook pasta, should take between 5 - 8 minutes. Set aside a cup of pasta water for later.
- In a large pan, saute the eschallot, garlic and chili flakes in the olive oil, over medium heat until fragrant and golden, about 3 minutes. Stir in the miso, then add steamed broccoli, salt, pepper and the stock.
- Bring to a gentle simmer and start breaking apart the broccoli into tiny pieces (using a metal spatula or other similar utensil). As it cooks it will get easier to break apart. The broccoli should basically melt down into a “sauce”.
- Continue simmering gently on low heat until half of the liquid evaporates and it becomes the consistency of a thick sauce, about 10-15 minutes. If it seems watery and separated, just keep cooking it down. It won’t be smooth - but just broken down and very very tender.
- Add the pasta. Toss well. Add more hot pasta water to keep it ” saucy.” Add the lemon zest.
- Taste for salt, adjust, adding more along with pepper, chili flakes. If you want more richness add another splash of olive oil or butter. Stir in some parmesan.
- Garnish and enjoy!
- 350g broccoli florets- cut or broken into very small florets about equal size.
- 250g Mixed Orechiette pasta,
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 eschallot, finely sliced
- 2 or 3 russian garlic cloves - roughly chopped
- 1 small chilli, finely diced
- 1 tsp of salt and pepper each, more to taste
- 1 teaspoon miso paste
- 2 cups veggie stock
- 1–2 tsps lemon zest
- Garnish: grated parmesan, lemon zest, truffle oil, fresh basil, toasted bread crumbs, or kalamata olives - all optional.
Recipe by Feasting at Home. Don't forget to send your recipe suggestions to community@foodconnect .com.au
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.