Okonomiyaki (Japanese Cabbage Pancakes)
Looking for a way to use up the magnificent Womboks and Sugarloafs sitting in your fridge, or coming in this week's boxes? This recipe takes 10 minutes (including prep) cabbage pancakes are quick, easy and delicious. Not too mention, they are appropriate for any time of day!
Makes 2 large pancakes
- 4 cups (200g) cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 eschallot, finely sliced
- 1 bulb garlic, minced
- 1/2 tbsp minced chilli seeded, or less
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp Sunshine Organics Tamari sauce
- 1 tsp Lirah Red Wine Vinegar
- 4 tbsp water
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Sabarac hot sauce, drizzle
Garnish ingredients (fun and optional):
- Zucchini, sliced longways and grilled
- Handful of fresh parsley
- Handful of Symon's Organic Parmesan, grated
- Handful of Mixed sprouts
- Stir together everything in a bowl (except for water and olive oil). Mix roughly to distribute ingredients evenly.
- add water and mix until the whole mixture is wet. The mixture should hold together in your hand and be about as wet as coleslaw.
- Heat a medium pan over high heat. Add 3 tbsp of olive oil (it may seem like a lot of oil but you will ned it so the pancake doesn't stick). Wait until the olive is at smoke point and then add half the mixture, or a quarter if you are making 4 medium sized pancakes. Press with a spoon to flatten to about 1cm thickness and cover the bottom of the pan.
- Allow to cook to about 1 minute, until the bottom of the pancake is a golden brown. It's easiest to keep the pancake in one piece by flipping it using the pan and not a spatula, plus it's the most exciting part.
- Slide onto a plate and top with whatever you want. We used grilled zucchini, parsley, sprouts and parmesan (as pictured above) but the toppings can be anything you fancy!
- Top with a drizzle of Sabarac hot sauce, the new Fermented Pineapple Sweet and Sour Sauce is perfect for those who prefer mild flavours. Otherwise, the Fermented Japanese Miso Hot Sauce adds a little bit of heat!
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.