Chicken tray-bake with plums
Summer's juicy stone fruit is so much more than a sweet treat! Plums make a great sticky, tart addition to savoury meals.
Give it a go with this simple, all-on-one-tray chicken dish - something different for a midweek family meal, or a couple of prepped lunches.
For the chicken & marinade:
For the tray:
- 6 plums (any type fine, firm is best)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup white wine
- Optional: sprigs of thyme if you've got some in the garden
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Arrange the chicken in shallow roasting tray (skin side up if on)
- Toast the fennel seeds by placing them in a small pan over a medium heat, until you can begin to smell the aroma of the spice, about 1 minute. Set aside to cool.
- Place the fennel seeds in a mortar and pestle with a solid pinch of sea salt, and bash until the fennel seeds are mostly ground up. If you don't own a mortar and pestle, crush under a spoon on a chopping board/plate.
- Add in the garlic cloves and continue to pound to crush them into a paste. Add in the brown sugar, thyme leaves, lime zest and olive oil and stir with a spoon until combined. Spoon the mixture onto the chicken and, using your hands, spread it all over.
- Halve the plums and arrange them among the chicken. Using the heel of a knife and your hand, press down to bruise the garlic then add this to the tray, nestling it amongst the plums and chicken along with the sprigs of thyme if using.
- Pour the wine into the base of the tray and roast in the preheated oven for around 35-40 minutes or until the chicken is golden and cooked and the plums have collapsed. Enjoy with smashed potatoes or your favourite veg!
- Depending on which plums you have used, there may be quite a bit of liquid. For extra tastiness, pour this into a small saucepan and simmer for 3-4 minutes until thickened, then spoon over chicken once plated.
Recipe inspired by and photo from ABC. Don't forget to send your recipe suggestions to info@foodconnect .com.au
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.