APRICOT AND LEMON CHRISTMAS CAKE
A perfect way to use those apricots coming in from Mario this week! A festive cake for a truly local Christmas! Any stone fruit, such as apricots, peaches, nectarines and plums can be used! This apricot one is scented with lemon and has a beautiful creamy texture – one serve will never be enough!
- 500 g firm, ripe apricots
- 1 tbsp brandy or dessert wine
- 110 g (½ cup) caster sugar
- 75 g (¾ cup) almond meal
- 125 ml (½ cup) milk
- 125 ml (½ cup) pouring cream
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- 1½ tsp natural vanilla essence or extract
- 1 lemon, zest finely grated
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- thick cream or vanilla ice-cream, to serve
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced).
- Halve the apricots and remove the stones. Arrange in a 24 cm (base measurement) ceramic quiche dish or a shallow 1.5 litre (6 cup) ovenproof dish. Sprinkle with the brandy or dessert wine and 1 tbsp of the caster sugar. Set aside while making the custard.
- Process the remaining sugar, almond meal, milk, cream, eggs, vanilla and lemon zest in a food processor until well combined. Add the flour and process until just combined. Pour evenly over the apricots.
- Bake in preheated oven for 35 minutes or until the custard is just set in the centre. Serve warm or at room temperature with cream or ice-cream.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.